Friday, September 6, 2013

Peer Editing



Peer Editing Video: "What is Peer Editing?"

The three steps on this video really helped me in critiquing my fellow group members' blog posts. I complemented them and stayed positive when I corrected their punctuation, grammar, and spelling. I did this by emailing both of them because I did not want to call them out in the open by posting a comment to their blog for everyone to see.

Slideshow: "Peer Edit with Perfection Tutorial"

This slide show really showed me that when I am editing one of my group members' blog posts I should think about how I would feel if someone told me what needed to be fixed in my own writing. This is why I chose to email my peers in my group. I would rather someone email me if they found something wrong with my blog post rather than call me out with a comment to my post. Just like the slide show said, I started my peer editing with complements on what I liked about Sarah and Lauren's blog posts. Then I gave each of them some suggestions that I had about their posts. After that, I gave them some grammatical errors that needed to be corrected. I did all of this while keeping my attitude positive.

Video: "Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes"

This video was hilarious, but it had some really good points. The mistakes showed me that I did not want to do to my group members while critiquing their posts. You do not have to be rude or mean when you do peer editing. You can be nice and get your point across. Do not be pushy like Pushy Paula. Just make your suggestions and if they do not want to use them to edit their blog post then they do not have to. All you have to do is try, they do not have to follow what you say. Also, I cannot take peer review personally. After all, like me, all they are trying to do is help!!
Blog Post By: Malary Booker

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. Some people can unintentionally be rude and come off in such a mean way when they are peer reviewing another person's blog. I guess with all of the social media sites we have now, calling someone out on what they did wrong in their comments can be taken completely the wrong way and come off rude or mean and even petty or catty. I would much rather someone tell me what I did wrong in a personal, less public setting too. I think that stating their good points and then suggesting ways of improvement helps one's message come across much better with a more positive sounding attitude. I have learned myself, that every interaction comes down to how you interpret and take it from the other person...and taking it personally is not the best way to do so. You're right, everyone is just trying to help one another. I completely agree with your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The three steps on this video ..." Replace on with discussed in

    Thoughtful. Well written.

    ReplyDelete