Tuesday, October 22, 2013

BLog Post # 10



What can we learn about teaching and learning from Randy Pausch?

I believe that I really learned how to enable the learning of my future students from Randy Pausch. I learned that it is okay to have a dream that you are working towards and not accomplish it. This is a topic I will have to cover while teaching my class. For example, little Johnny from second grade may want to be a NASCAR driver when he grows up. I would encourage him that although that is a wonderful goal to have, NASCAR has so many other things that you can do other than just be a driver. This will allow students not to be so disappointed if they do not reach the exact goal that they have. Randy gave many examples of goals that he did not and did accomplish. He grew from his goals whether he accomplished them or not and I feel like this would be something good to teach students. If you give them an assignment and they do not reach the exact goal that you have for them, let them know that is okay because this is a learning process.
I was also very into Randy's classroom exhibition. It was so interesting to me how people made all of these animated things move around and speak. Students were able to create their own world and I know that this really encouraged them in their high technology course. This enabled them to bond and work together to create something wonderful. I will definitely be incorporating this mind set into my elementary school classroom. All of the subjects that I cover will allow the students to work together, learn, and have fun.
I loved Randy's whole lecture. It is amazing to me how uplifting he is considering his condition. Here is the video and I encourage you to watch it and be as inspired as I was:


Blog Post By: Malary Booker

1 comment:

  1. MALARY, I ENJOYED YOUR PERSPECTIVE ON THE LECTURE. YOU TOOK AN ALTERNATE OBJECTIVE IN THAT I LEARNED THAT A LEGACY CAN BE CREATED WHEN A PERSON DEDICATES HIMSELF TO HIS CRAFT. YOUR POINT IS VALID AS WELL. TO BE ABLE TO SHOW A CHILD THAT WHILE NOT ALL DREAMS MAY COME TRUE, HE CAN ALWAYS FIND A NEW DREAM AND PERHAPS THAT WILL BE HIS CALLING IS A VERY MOTIVATIONAL METHOD OF TEACHING. MAY I SUGGEST THAT YOUR OPENING SENTENCE START WITH WHAT I LEARNED FROM MR. PAUSCH'S LAST LECTURE.... INSTEAD OF WHAT I BELIEVE I ..... IT SOUNDS A LITTLE UNSURE. OTHER THAN THAT, I COULD FIND NO OTHER CRITIQUES I WOULD MAKE. GREAT JOB!!

    ReplyDelete