Thursday, October 31, 2013

Blog Post # 11

 

Little Kids...Big Potential By: Ms. Cassidy

In this video, Ms. Cassidy's first grade class is talking about their personal blogs and their class website. The kids tell the people watching about all of the technological tools they use in their classroom. They made videos about the alphabet and put them on Wiki. They also watched videos on the alphabet that other students had done. These kids also got to Skype with kids from other classrooms. It is amazing how much the kids knew about every technological source they used during class and they enjoyed all of them. I like how Ms. Cassidy allows the kids to speak in the video. It really lets the people who are watching realize everything that the kids are learning.

Skype Interview with Ms. Cassidy Part 1, 2, and 3

I really like Ms. Cassidy's technological approach in her first grade classroom. I agree with her answer to Dr. Strange's question about technology going away. She said that technology is definitely not going away and things that worked in the classroom twenty years ago do not work anymore. We as teachers have so many more opportunities for learning about technology now than we used to. The internet has everything.
Ms. Cassidy also said that being in college is the best time to learn about technology and how you want to teach it in your future classroom. I do agree with this because when we start teaching we will need to know how and what we are going to teach.
Ms. Cassidy believes that blogs are great because kids will have an audience other than her. I completely agree with her statement. In my future classroom blogs will be one of the first things I try to set up for this reason. The kids will enjoy getting feedback from people all over the world instead of just me.
The one thing that I saw that would be different between what Ms. Cassidy's approach to technology is and what mine will be is her not having much technology in her personal life. I plan to have technology in my personal life and in my classroom. I will just have to separate the two. The world is advancing too quickly not to incorporate technology in every aspect of your life.
The benefits of Ms. Cassidy's approach to technology are endless. She allows her students so many learning opportunities. She has taught me in just three videos how important using technology with elementary students, or any students for that matter, is. Here is the link to her class website:Ms. Cassidy's Classroom Blog

3 comments:

  1. Great post last week. I really like how Mrs. Cassidy lets her students speak individually on the video as well. Like you said it shows people students in action learning. The only thing I feel like with having personal and classroom technology in your life is that it will be hard to keep separate. Nothing on the internet is personal any more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can agree with some things you said. But for the most part I don't agree with children using technology in class for the simple fact what if it crashes or the schools internet is down theres more things than that, that can go wrong. I just don't understand why we can't figure that out. Otherwise you did a wonderful job with expressing her thoughts and opinions of the topic,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I apologize for being a little late with my comment.

    You shouldn't forget to add alt/title modifiers to your pictures at this point! And you should always provide links to the videos you watched so your readers can find them easily!

    ReplyDelete